Author Topic: Who else likes this new forum better than Calguns?  (Read 24989 times)

Offline chickenfried

• View Profile
Who else likes this new forum better than Calguns?
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
This new forum is great.  I hope it isn't as censored as Calguns.  That guy Kestryll over there seems to be on some kind of power trip.   :D

Offline Amendment II

• View Profile
Re: Who else likes this new forum better than Calguns?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
Um, what does this have to do with 2nd Amend. Politics and Law noob?

But I'll have to agree that this board is way better than Calguns.  The folks here seem much friendlier too.  And did you see the sweet deal on Portuguese 308 that somebody just scored in the for sale section?  1000 rounds for $150.  You'd never see something like that on Calguns.
"...the Court placed a constitutional limit on gun control legislation that had not existed prior to its decision in Heller. It is too early to know how much of a constitutional straitjacket the new rule will create." - ACLU

Offline xenophobe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 01:40:56 AM »
This software does have some nice features, but it's definitely not as comprehensive as vbulletin. 

Offline kermit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
A little spooky to have a sparcely populated board.  Kind of like a ghost town with empty shells of buildings.  I thought this was going to be a back-up site for the parent web pages, maybe I misunderstood.

I like (and need) a spellchecker so that's a great feature.

No sales forum?

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »
A little spooky to have a sparcely populated board.  Kind of like a ghost town with empty shells of buildings.  I thought this was going to be a back-up site for the parent web pages, maybe I misunderstood.

I like (and need) a spellchecker so that's a great feature.

No sales forum?

Hi kermit,

this site is a backup to the original Calguns.net forums located at this url:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

We've been having some issues with our current hosting company so this forum was set up in case the original had problems. Then we could let everyone know what was happening.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline taloft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
Nope, don't like it. It is real sloooww at my end. Could be all the people jumping over. I have spell checking in v.bulletin, I think it was a plug in. Also, I tried to put a smiley on this post and it cropped my post.
Don't mess with success.

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
Try it now Taloft, we were restoring the .net database on to this same server so it was a bit slower than normal.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline taloft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 06:07:43 PM »
It's smokin fast now, ;D  and the smilies stopped cropping my post. We fear change. :-\
Don't mess with success.

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »
We fear change. :-\
That makes two of us! :D

SemiAutoSam

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 07:08:14 PM »
Not Famaliar with the software at all and its jumpy dont care for it .

Not to change back to the forum topic but if anyone feels the need to Tell David E. Petzal what a Zumbo he is here is the URL to his blog. 

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_davi.html

ZUMBOMANIA: David E. Petzal’s take on the Jim Zumbo fiasco
In case you just emerged from a coma and have not heard, the shooting world is agog over a blog posted by Jim Zumbo, former contributing editor at Outdoor Life, over the weekend of February 17. In it, Jim stated that any semiauto rifle with an AR or AK prefix was a terrorist rifle, had no place in hunting, and should be outlawed for that purpose. Then, courtesy of the Internet and all its blogs and chatrooms, the roof fell in.

The speed with which Zumbomania spread, the number of comments it drew, and the rabid nature of same were a revelation. Overnight, this thing became as big as Janet Jackson’s clothing failure or—dare I say it?—Britney Spears’ shaved head. Jim Zumbo is now as employable as the Unabomber, and Sarah Brady will no doubt adopt his comments to her own gun-control purposes.

For the last several days I’ve been visiting all manner of blogs and chatrooms, which has reminded me of when I used to deliver used clothing to the local mental hospital. I’ve tried to make some sense of it all, but because the waters are still full of blood and body parts continue to rain from the sky, I haven’t come up with any Great Truths. Lacking that, here are some Lesser Truths.

What Jim said was ill-considered. He’s entitled to his beliefs, but when a writer of his stature comes out against black guns, it sure as hell does not help our cause.

Even so, Jim made an immediate apology. He did not equivocate, or qualify, or make excuses. He acted like a gentleman and said he was wrong, and he was sorry. Apparently this is not enough anymore. We now live in the era of one strike and you're out.

For 40 years, Jim has been a spokesman and ambassador of good will for hunting. Through his tireless efforts as a teacher and lecturer on hunting and hunting skills, he has done more for the sport than any 250 of the yahoos who called for his blood.

Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours.

If Sarah Brady is smart—and she is very smart—she will comb through the same blogs and chatrooms I’ve been reading, excerpt some of the most vicious and foul-mouthed entries, print them up, and distribute them to Congress. Then it will be interesting to see how the men and women who wrote that stuff enjoy seeing their efforts being put to use by every anti-gunner in America.

Stay tuned.

Editor's Note: Read Dave's response to your comments here

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:10:10 PM by SemiAutoSam »

Offline dondo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »

Not to change back to the forum topic but if anyone feels the need to Tell David E. Petzal what a Zumbo he is here is the URL to his blog. 

In case you just emerged from a coma and have not heard, the shooting world is agog over a blog posted by Jim Zumbo, former contributing editor at Outdoor Life, over the weekend of February 17. In it, Jim stated that any semiauto rifle with an AR or AK prefix was a terrorist rifle, had no place in hunting, and should be outlawed for that purpose. Then, courtesy of the Internet and all its blogs and chatrooms, the roof fell in.

The speed with which Zumbomania spread, the number of comments it drew, and the rabid nature of same were a revelation. Overnight, this thing became as big as Janet Jackson’s clothing failure or—dare I say it?—Britney Spears’ shaved head. Jim Zumbo is now as employable as the Unabomber, and Sarah Brady will no doubt adopt his comments to her own gun-control purposes.

For the last several days I’ve been visiting all manner of blogs and chatrooms, which has reminded me of when I used to deliver used clothing to the local mental hospital. I’ve tried to make some sense of it all, but because the waters are still full of blood and body parts continue to rain from the sky, I haven’t come up with any Great Truths. Lacking that, here are some Lesser Truths.

What Jim said was ill-considered. He’s entitled to his beliefs, but when a writer of his stature comes out against black guns, it sure as hell does not help our cause.

Even so, Jim made an immediate apology. He did not equivocate, or qualify, or make excuses. He acted like a gentleman and said he was wrong, and he was sorry. Apparently this is not enough anymore. We now live in the era of one strike and you're out.

For 40 years, Jim has been a spokesman and ambassador of good will for hunting. Through his tireless efforts as a teacher and lecturer on hunting and hunting skills, he has done more for the sport than any 250 of the yahoos who called for his blood.

Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours.

If Sarah Brady is smart—and she is very smart—she will comb through the same blogs and chatrooms I’ve been reading, excerpt some of the most vicious and foul-mouthed entries, print them up, and distribute them to Congress. Then it will be interesting to see how the men and women who wrote that stuff enjoy seeing their efforts being put to use by every anti-gunner in America.

Stay tuned.

What is so terribly wrong with this article?

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »

Stay tuned.

What is so terribly wrong with this article?

It doesn't call for Zumbo's head on a platter so he must not be dedicated enough.
We need to give him more 'kool-aid'.

Offline sorensen440

• Official King of Calguns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
I like the other one better

Offline shellyzsweet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
I miss the flash smilies.....I feel so controlled on this one

-OMG ITS SMILEY CONTROL!!!!!  HOLLY $#%^   :o

Just VOTE NO on SMILEY CONTROL!!!   8)

Offline sorensen440

• Official King of Calguns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 03:49:07 AM »
This new forum is great.  I hope it isn't as censored as Calguns.  That guy Kestryll over there seems to be on some kind of power trip.   :D

Ban??

Offline hopi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
not my cup of tea

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »
I'd like a cup of tea -

Offline N6ATF

• Ban ad homs on .net!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »
I miss the old one.  :-\

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »
Kind of like the TaN thread missing -

Offline Howardw56

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
I'd like a cup of tea -

I'd prefer coffee

Offline REDHORSE

• View Profile
    • Webshooters
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 05:25:35 PM »
Iced sweet tea = FTW

Offline EXTURNERSEMP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »

We've been having some issues with our current hosting company so this forum was set up in case the original had problems. Then we could let everyone know what was happening.

If you don't mind me asking: what kind of problems?

Offline lewdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »
Check the date on that quote you just made:

"Quote from: Kestryll on February 04, 2007, 11:38:49 AM"

OLD post :)

Offline lazyworm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »

If you don't mind me asking: what kind of problems?

I think that was before calguns.net got moved to cdglobal.  The old hosting provider had stability issue as they over subscribed their servers.  Calguns was eating up too much resources and got turned off a few times. Anyways, ancient history.

Offline JAMESOB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
i don't like it. >:(

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
I like it - kind of nice to have so quiet so you can think.

Offline drclark

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
I like the fact that this forum is currently working.  I can't get on to .net at all this morning.

drc

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
I like the fact that this forum is currently working.  I can't get on to .net at all this morning.

drc

True, I never get errors here, more .net people should come here, I don't understand why they don't. 
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »
more .net people should come here, I don't understand why they don't.

Maybe because .org was taken over by a bunch of dejected and banned members from .net that everyone is happy to avoid?
I didn't really enjoy taking showers with other men though I have done it
I move a lot...and drool....

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
You think?

more .net people should come here, I don't understand why they don't.

Maybe because .org was taken over by a bunch of dejected and banned members from .net that everyone is happy to avoid?