Author Topic: why so much spam here  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Vanilla Gorilla

• View Profile
why so much spam here
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
is it because the security is lower than on .net?

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
Re: why so much spam here
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »
Yes, normally I have this set so that new members have to be approved before posting so I can go through it once a week or so and approve real members and delete the spammers.

Since I knew more Calgunners would be signing up tonight I removed the approval requirement so they could join and post.

Unfortunately the spammers are taking advantage of it and I get to play whack-a-mole.
Such is life.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline VegasND

• I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
Did you delete the wedding dress thread?  I wanted to see the pictures I asked for!
Yes, normally I have this set so that new members have to be approved before posting so I can go through it once a week or so and approve real members and delete the spammers.

Since I knew more Calgunners would be signing up tonight I removed the approval requirement so they could join and post.

Unfortunately the spammers are taking advantage of it and I get to play whack-a-mole.
Such is life.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
Did you delete the wedding dress thread?  I wanted to see the pictures I asked for!

Freak.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag