Author Topic: Won 5150 Appeal  (Read 7511 times)

Offline fcunha

• View Profile
Won 5150 Appeal
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
Wanted to pass this on to anyone who might find themselves in the same place I was in. I had posted this response in my original post, but it warned it was over 120 days old and I should consider reposting - so here it is...

I had a crisis in my life and unintentionally took a non-lethal overdose of a prescription medication. I was totally out of it by the time the ambulance got there (I called them cause I wasn't feeling well and was worried) and definitely not making any sense at the hospital. The ER doc declared me 5150 and sent me to a mental hospital because they didn't have any beds at that hospital. I spent a little over 24 hours at the mental hospital and was released.

Although it took several months, I appealed the 5150 Firearms prohibition successfully in Sacramento County Firearms Court.

My attorney was Isaac W. Choy (916-498-1320). He's a great attorney. It took a while to find an attorney that believed in my rights and me. He has experience appealing holds and this case for me.

I have my 2nd Amendment rights and my guns back now. I am very thankful for the appeals process and for Mr. Choy.

ps. Good Luck to anyone that has to go through this... Be sure to get your guns transferred to an immediate relative (easiest to do - see state of ca dept of justice for forms and rules) immediately before the Department of Justice or Police Department comes to get them. Once they get them, you may not win your appeal in time before your guns are destroyed.

Offline ShootinMedic

• View Profile
Re: Won 5150 Appeal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline VegasND

• I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
Good news
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »
Good Job on the appeal and thanks for posting this as I am sure it offers courage to someone who may also be in similar circumstances. :D
The information contained in this document is CONFIDENTIAL and LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, copying, disclosure, retention or distribution is unlawful and illegal.