Author Topic: These Outages are LAME  (Read 19650 times)

Offline teletiger7

• View Profile
These Outages are LAME
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
Hopefully they will get the "New server" working.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: These Outages are LAME
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:11:31 PM »
It's weird that .net is down and THR.US is going strong -

Offline teletiger7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »
It's not just weird. It's almost as if they pulled resources from calguns and gave it to THR. I hope the "new" server  with the "upgrades" wasn't just a euphimism for= Go to THR and use their forum.

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:12 PM »
It's not just weird. It's almost as if they pulled resources from calguns and gave it to THR. I hope the "new" server  with the "upgrades" wasn't just a euphimism for= Go to THR and use their forum.

Not a chance!

Calguns is and will ALWAYS be a stand alone, separate forum.

The hope was to have Calguns on the the new upgraded server platform and then be able to move THR.
Circumstances dictated a move before all the pieces were in place, now we're moving to put those pieces where they belong.

Calguns isn't being replaced by THR.us, we're just helping out a friend for the moment.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline moulton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »
How long until we can get back on?  :-\

Offline DSA_FAL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
When I'm at my GF's place in SD which has Roadrunner, I get DNS errors. I can get on using the IP address above, however. I don't have any problems getting on at my place which is AT&T.

Offline retired

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
While I was on Calguns last night (late), it suddenly stopped loading pages.  I decided to log off and try to log back in.  I'm also on roadrunner.com and just got a page with a roadrunner format saying it couldn't find Calguns.   >:(

Kestryll, I know you're working hard to get the problems fixed, but, boy, it's frustrating.

Offline blackwater ops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »
A lot of people complaining awfully load for something that's free. Why don't you donate $50 to Geovario/Kestryll and then complain.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
A lot of people complaining awfully load for something that's free. Why don't you donate $50 to Geovario/Kestryll and then complain.

Yes, Patience is a virtue. All will come in time.

Offline retired

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

Why don't you mind your own business. :P  I really wasn't complaining, just mentioning my frustration.  I also mentioned that I appreciated what Kestryll is doing.

Also, I don't need to be told to donate money or hold my comments; which is essentially what you are saying.  You do not know my financial condition or anything about me, so why would you attack me.

Thanks Jacques, I appreciate that little gem also.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
Just having tea here -

Offline BB63squid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

Why don't you mind your own business. :P  I really wasn't complaining, just mentioning my frustration.  I also mentioned that I appreciated what Kestryll is doing.

Also, I don't need to be told to donate money or hold my comments; which is essentially what you are saying.  You do not know my financial condition or anything about me, so why would you attack me.

Thanks Jacques, I appreciate that little gem also.

Retired,

Have you tried accessing CGN via the ip address as opposed to the DNS (Domain name)? If not try...

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/index.php

I have had much better results with that.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
Yeah - Kest posted the info up but I don't think a whole lot of people noticed.

Offline BB63squid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
Yeah - Kest posted the info up but I don't think a whole lot of people noticed.

It does kind of blend in with everything else up there. Plus, when I log on I typically am already programmed where to look and up there is not one of those places.

Kestryll maybe bold, larger and red font would work at the top where you posted the IP.

Offline retired

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »
BB63squid, thanks for that info.  Yes, I had tried it on the other thread here on the same subject.  Lazyworm was nice enough to post that, but it didn't work when I tried it.  The page just froze. 

Hey, I know they are doing a lot to make Calguns.net a much better place and as I said, I'm not complaining; I just said it was frustrating not to be able to get on since I like this  site a lot.  I appreciate everything Kestryll and the others are doing.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
Duly noted -

Offline Soldier415

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 06:02:47 AM »
Just having tea here -

Tea? Blimey Guv'nor

Offline Vectrexer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 08:04:44 AM »
All access methods suck right now.  and TheHighRoad.us is also down.   Could it be s company upgrade for GeoVario is taking all of their customers down?  ;)  Maybe GeoVario had to wait for their electrical suppliers' cows to digest their cud so that more methane could be collected to run the green power generators.  Or perhaps Bay Area fog has take out the solar plant?  ;)  And perhaps Obama is Muslim too.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »
We can help in the methane gas dept. -

Offline rolo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
Man, I had a good post going in the Obama Bux thread too...

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 05:42:53 PM »
Have a Rolo bar while you're here -

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Looks like it's down again.  Why do so few .net people come here?  Probably better, most of them are TAN haters it seems  ::)
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline wildhawk66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
Definately frustrating.  I appreciate the hardwork the admins are doing to upgrade .net, though if this is scheduled a list of outage dates and times would be nice...  One minute it's up, one it's down, over several days this has become frustrating to say the least.  I'm glad I don't have naything for sale at the moment.

Offline technique

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
Definately frustrating.  I appreciate the hardwork the admins are doing to upgrade .net, though if this is scheduled a list of outage dates and times would be nice...  One minute it's up, one it's down, over several days this has become frustrating to say the least.  I'm glad I don't have naything for sale at the moment.

I too am glad I have managed to sell everything, It screwed up alot of my sales. I am holding off on any more sales until they are up and running 100%

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
Utilized the FS section here -

Offline Pinto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
My frustration from the CG outages comes from seeing THR.us running smoothly while we are locked out. I don't mind helping them out, but let's not let CG slip to second fiddle. JMO

I too am glad I have managed to sell everything, It screwed up alot of my sales. I am holding off on any more sales until they are up and running 100%

(BTW, technique - did you get my PM on the AR10 upper?)

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
My frustration from the CG outages comes from seeing THR.us running smoothly while we are locked out. I don't mind helping them out, but let's not let CG slip to second fiddle. JMO

Rest assured that is not the plan.

We will be on a rather impressive array when all is said and done however the THR situation popped sooner then expected and the hardware is arriving later then expected.
My understanding is that each site will have their own server and DB server when finished.
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline BB63squid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »

We will be on a rather impressive array when all is said and done however the THR situation popped sooner then expected and the hardware is arriving later then expected.
My understanding is that each site will have their own server and DB server when finished.

kes,

What fail-over S/W are you guys using or are you running a cluster?

Offline odysseus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

kes,

What fail-over S/W are you guys using or are you running a cluster?

It would not appear so. Running a truly redudant system and back end with PHP/MySQL solutions can bring costs out of scope for most people to constantly maintain. I have no idea of CGN budget BTW so I could be blowing hot air, but there is some work that certainly needs to be processed through which usually is the restraint. My best wishes for the Kestryll and admin host services in making all this happen - the system (or situation) obviously is presenting itself as a challenge.

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:20 AM »
Utilized the FS section here -

I doubt any sales have actually been made from it, we only have like 300 members here and few participate much. 
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!