Author Topic: Which Forum software?  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
Which Forum software?
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:06:13 AM »
Just a quick question.
this software has some interesting advantages over vBulletin and some areas where it's not as well rounded.
Which one do you all like?
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline Diablo

• View Profile
Re: Which Forum software?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:54:32 PM »
FIRST ONE!!!!

Change is good.. ;D  Besides there are many more faces and spell check too?? WOW!!

Offline whatdyisit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:19:38 AM »
If it stays this fast and has less "down time". I like this software more. The spell check is an advantage. The search function seems like it finds what you want a little easier than the .net site.

Offline xenophobe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42:20 AM »
This software looks nice, but vbulletin is a much better, more feature rich and has tons of plug ins....

Please keep the real forum software vbulletin.  The search feature alone in vbulletin is worth having over this software.... 

And if you guys like spell checkers, download Firefox 2.0 :p  (or download a plugin for vbulletin that does it)

Oh, and if you like this look better, you can modify vbulletin to look any way you want it.  Everything is configurable and modifiable...  At Calguns.net you're just using a standard vanilla skin.  Other skins can be created...

If you want to see how different vbulletin can be configured, check out another forum I frequent daily at:
http://www.jcfonline.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:46:38 AM by xenophobe »

Offline Kestryll

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Calguns.net
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:02:54 AM »
The biggest draw to me is the Admin options and tools are a fair bit more straight-forward here and plug ins or mods are dirt simple.
The home forum is with vBulletin until at least October. I generally don't like changing things too much so we'll probably stick with vBulletin but this has somethings going for it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:05:14 AM by Kestryll »
"The problem with ‘post-modern’ society is there are too many people with nothing meaningful to do, building ‘careers’ around controlling the lives of others and generally making social nuisances of themselves. They justify their meddling by discovering social ‘problems’ and getting the media to mag

Offline artherd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
I lean towards vBuliten, but this software is very nice and VERY fast.   I wonder how well it scales, should do well if it's mysql backed.

I ADORE the spell-check, and cannot live without it already.

Offline Canthavenuthingood

• View Profile
    • GunsR4us
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »
It may be faster because there is so little to sort through or retrieve?

Also this one seems to be a bit redundant with the re: stuck up in each post rather than at the top.

The absence of boxes keeping the area's separated from each other as in a 'hover' mode, messes up my sense of uniformity ;D

I'll miss all the little 'fixed it for ya' remarks on the szpelings.

Vick

Offline xenophobe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
The biggest draw to me is the Admin options and tools are a fair bit more straight-forward here and plug ins or mods are dirt simple.
The home forum is with vBulletin until at least October. I generally don't like changing things too much so we'll probably stick with vBulletin but this has somethings going for it.

Yes, this is faster on this server...  vBulletin is the standard, and you can see on the main page how much this software copies it.

I would rather have the support and upgrade of vBulletin while you will be waiting for this software company to copy it and add it to their package.

And this forum software seems to copy a lot of the best features of several different forum software.

I think you should stick with a leader instead of a follower, IMO.  vBulletin has been around for ages.  IT would suck to use a product, support and updates to just have it vanish overnight.  Then you would need to upgrade to a different forum software again. 

Offline taloft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
I like the v.bulletin better and you can get a spell checking plug-in for it. I like the one I have in v.bulletin better because it doesn't check until you click it, less of a distraction. I do like the speed and the smileys on this one. I can adapt to it but, would prefer to stick with v.bulletin. Besides, dropping over the post counts and avatars would be a pain.
Don't mess with success.

Offline Fjold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »
Appearance wise both are fine with me. 

Is there a way to make the spell checker mandatory?  If so, I vote for this!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

Offline taloft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
Actually, unless you deselect it the spell checker is automatic. Once you deselect it you can't reselect it without reloading the page. Of sort it grammar won't help. ;D
Don't mess with success.

Offline Yesbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:35:47 AM »
My personal favorite free forum script is phpBB, but you'll need to have mySQL on your server to run it, and if you're not familiar with the database structure of your server, you'll want to have a MySQL administration console... it makes it a lot easier to manage your databases (free as well, but your webhost may charge for that service).

Just try it out on this host : free forum hosting

Hope this can help!

Offline VegasND

• I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
 phpBB is ok too but I rate it 2nd afer VBulletin--just get the server back up then leave it pretty much alone
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Offline 5150Marcelo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »
Which ever has less downtime.

Offline Ballbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 06:51:19 AM »
phpbb3 because its free and opensource. But I wouldnt argue that VB is good too, but I just hate the licensing thing.
Demo : free forums

Offline KnesekGuns

• View Profile
    • Knesek Guns
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I've typically used phpbb3 on most of the forums i've installed and had no issues, great stuff

-Max
KnesekGuns.com
Proud partner of THOR Global Defense Group
THORGDG.com