Author Topic: Anyone into Corvettes?  (Read 356 times)

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
Anyone into Corvettes?
« on: April 26, 2024, 06:16:46 PM »
Life is getting tougher, lots of things failing. Want to have fun before it gets impossible.
I'm thinking of looking for a C5 or C6. How hard are they for egress when knees are making life harder and one is 6'2" or so? If you think it will work, where is a good place to shop?
Or just bite the bullet and try to maintain an M3 or something like that?

Offline SandiegoPoopButt619

• View Profile
Re: Anyone into Corvettes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 06:28:23 PM »
Lots of Corvette fans here, or at least on the main site. I think they are the best bang for your buck performance wise.
Trump 2024 - Make jabbed people cry again!

Offline WOODY2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 06:48:18 PM »
Life is getting tougher, lots of things failing. Want to have fun before it gets impossible.
I'm thinking of looking for a C5 or C6. How hard are they for egress when knees are making life harder and one is 6'2" or so? If you think it will work, where is a good place to shop?
Or just bite the bullet and try to maintain an M3 or something like that?
Find one and try the ingress-egress before you purchase.

Offline Widdle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 10:25:36 PM »
I can help break it in for you if your knees hurt. I will not even charge for my services.

Offline Scotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 05:24:32 PM »
Of the times I've gotten into a corvette at a car show, I found the best way to get out of one is to roll and crawl out of the car.  ;D

What I've found is with any two door sports car that is really low and with a large door sill is to slide the seat all the way back first. Then turn facing outward and lower your butt into the seat, then slide your legs into the car. Getting out is to slide the seat all the way back, turn the legs out, then get up out of the seat.

The reason for sliding the seat back is because 2 door cars have really long doors. Most people won't be sitting towards the back of the door. The angle of the door ends up being less when opened, so you have less room to swing your legs out.

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 07:15:47 PM »
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"

Offline rmnc3r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 11:04:56 PM »
I have a 2017 Grand Sport (C7) - as I advise the Missus, the best way for entry is to sit down and swing the legs in. Egress is similar - swing the legs out and rise. Don't know about other Gens, but the C7 has memory seats - once I turn off the Engine and open the door, the DS Seat slides back.  The Pass Seat is almost always in it's rear most position.

My first car was 1970 Opel GT (German-built C3 "mini 'vette"), so I have long had an affinity for that style. Subsequent Gens din't interest me until the C7. Not much interested in the C8, either.

Rotsa Ruck, G.I.!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 11:45:55 PM »
I have a 2017 Grand Sport (C7) - as I advise the Missus, the best way for entry is to sit down and swing the legs in. Egress is similar - swing the legs out and rise. Don't know about other Gens, but the C7 has memory seats - once I turn off the Engine and open the door, the DS Seat slides back.  The Pass Seat is almost always in it's rear most position.

My first car was 1970 Opel GT (German-built C3 "mini 'vette"), so I have long had an affinity for that style. Subsequent Gens din't interest me until the C7. Not much interested in the C8, either.

Rotsa Ruck, G.I.!

You had an Opel? Cool car, I've only seen one that I can recall, driving around the street races in the early 2000s.

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 11:48:20 AM »

Rotsa Ruck, G.I.!
I have some love for the Opels of that era. One of my teachers bought a GT when they first came out, and one of my g/f had a Manta, which was a very nice car. My first car was an Opel Rekord, bought very used from a man in my church. Good memories.

I've been reading on a few forums, and it seems like the C5 is good for room and a good bang for the buck. Just have to find one in good to great shape, right color and all that. I'll start trying them for ease and size. I tried to sit in one at CarMax a few years ago, but don't remember the year. It was pretty rough as far as getting the seat right. I sat in a Pantera long ago, and found that my friend's 914 had more room, much more comfortable. Some cars just have a better interior design than others. We shopped Mustangs, and owned a couple, but the smaller BMW's had much better seats for me. Bigger BMW no contest, of course. Sure would be nice if there was a car the price of a good used Corvette, with the very best reliability, great interior and looks, and the driving feel of the best BMW's.
If I was sure I had the energy left I'd be on a Factory Five car. That would be fun to build. A friend built a twin turbo 1966 Mustang that made the cover of one of the big magazines. Built his own intercooler, etc. No kit. Fuel injection, bigger gas tank, something like 675 torque on race gas. This was before the factories were doing stuff like this, using an older 5.0.

Thanks for your ideas and posts!

Offline george223

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 12:20:39 PM »
I like my 2000 Corvette. I can get in no problem and don't really have problem getting out but it helps to put my left hand on the door jamb half way up and push myself up.  My neighbor had a 94 Corvette. It had deep foot wells with respect to the door sill plate. When getting out, you forget to lift your foot higher to get over the door sill. The C5 isn't like that.

Offline Bar-Ang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2024, 12:38:03 PM »
loved corvette and acura nsx when i was in my early 20's. i'd drive by dealerships and gawked at them from sidewalk. didn't want to be approached by a salesman.

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 12:59:09 PM »
loved corvette and acura nsx when i was in my early 20's. i'd drive by dealerships and gawked at them from sidewalk. didn't want to be approached by a salesman.
Used to do that at the Mopar dealers when I was young. I remember when they had the Plymouth Super Bird in the showrooms. They couldn't sell those then. now they are huge $$$$$$$. Hemi Cuda, also tough to sell. Lots of Dusters and Valiants with slant 6 (225 CI) though.

Offline TonyNorCal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 06:44:01 PM »
Boomers love Corvettes.
Calguns has lots of boomers.

Venn diagram success. Achieved.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 06:59:16 PM »
Boomers love Corvettes.
Calguns has lots of boomers.

Venn diagram success. Achieved.

CalBoomers

BoomerGuns

TRUMP 2024!!

Offline Marauder2003

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 08:14:14 AM »
Back in the day this was the Vette I was into.  :)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 08:20:32 AM by Marauder2003 »
Stop Making Stupid People Famous

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 08:54:46 AM »
Back in the day this was the Vette I was into.  :)

Bro you're gonna mind fugg some Millenials and Zoomers with that post.
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"

Offline Featureless

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 05:17:51 PM »
Meh.  A Corvette is a plastic Chebby.  Nothing more, nothing less.