Author Topic: Handguns to stash away around the house?  (Read 16955 times)

Offline beanz2

• View Profile
Handguns to stash away around the house?
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:36:51 AM »
Just posting for the sake of conversation...

Let's say that one lives in a large house with multiple entrances. Let's say that there is no one not unfamiliar with firearms in the household and everyone can be trusted 100% with firearm safety. Let's say everyone has been taking more-than-basic firearm training classes.

And let's finally say it is today, with the CA Roster in full effect and Black Friday sales looming, a house up the street just had a home invasion when armed crooks followed them home from the mall.

For the sake of conversation, what firearms would be good to stash away around the house? Keep in mind they won't be in a temperature or moisture controlled environment.

Offline Dyson

• View Profile
Re: Handguns to stash away around the house?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »
Gen 3 Glocks are cheap and plenty

Offline GlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
Gen 3 Glocks are cheap and plenty

Glocks are the answer to every question ... 8)
Not that kind of Doctor ...

Offline k1dude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
I don't own these and have never shot them, but I understand the S&W SD9 VE, the S&W SD40 VE, and the Armscor M206 are worthy of consideration.

I'm assuming you're asking for inexpensive but reliable so you can buy in quantity without wiping out the bank account.

Offline marksmandowntown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »
I'd say either a Glock or a lower end revolver, as both are cheap and can take a beating and still shoot fine. The next question being how to keep them from being damaged by the elements. My first thought is a zip lock bag and a pistol magnet, but that poses a few obvious problems. I don't know if you saw the last Mad Max movie, but they had a Glock hidden inside a ceramic skull and then glued under the semi-truck. That method was great for concealability and keeping the dust and elements out of it.

Here it is. Skip to 55 secs if you want to skip the fight scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZ90pP-Bas

Offline k1dude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
The next question being how to keep them from being damaged by the elements. My first thought is a zip lock bag and a pistol magnet, but that poses a few obvious problems.

It think he's talking about hiding the guns inside the house.

Offline tbc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Let's say that one lives in a large house with multiple entrances. Let's say that there is no one not unfamiliar with firearms in the household and everyone can be trusted 100% with firearm safety. Let's say everyone has been taking more-than-basic firearm training classes.

And let's finally say it is today, with the CA Roster in full effect and Black Friday sales looming, a house up the street just had a home invasion when armed crooks followed them home from the mall.

For the sake of conversation, what firearms would be good to stash away around the house? Keep in mind they won't be in a temperature or moisture controlled environment.

In this scenarios, I'd just carry my Kahr PM9.

Offline Hardwarejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »
I guess that HiPoint guy hasn't made his way over here yet  :)
I'd probably go the revolver and shotgun route myself.

Offline marksmandowntown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »

It think he's talking about hiding the guns inside the house.

Thanks for not making fun of the special needs kid.

Try to pick your more plain and old school looking guns if you are going to set up your go-to bad guy guns. The guns that you pick should look as vanilla as possible while still doing the job. When the county prosecutor holds up that gun and points at you in court, would you rather he was holding up a Ruger Mini 14 with a walnut stock, or a tricked out AR-15 with hydro-dipped skulls all over it? This isn't going to apply as much with pistols, but I'd still advise something plain and honest looking with no skulls or bling on it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:49:12 PM by marksmandowntown »

Offline beanz2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the idea is to have several guns to keep at the various locations indoors and they will get as much care and loving as a toenail clipper. 

Carrying a gun all the time at home is an idea but can get awkward when you're in a bathrobe fetching the mail or newspaper from the sidewalk.

Shotguns have its own advantages and disadvantages, but are harder to stash in secret locations.

Agree the simpler and the more benign they appear, the better. Uzis and AK pistols would look bad to a jury.

Revolvers are dead simple, but not everyone are familiar shooting revolvers.

I like the idea of Glocks: cheap, simple and reliable, though everyone here shoots with a thumb safety. Will look into the suggested S&Ws and Armscor. Never thought of a HiPoint, but why not?  Equal opportunity for all guns, right?  ;)

Offline NorcalEnthusiast (NCE)

• Glock life!
    • View Profile
    • My Online Love Letter to Perfection
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
Long ago, I used to keep a 12 gauge pump in the corner of the front room on the side of a tall book shelf, and most rooms had loaded handguns on high shelves where I knew they were even if I could not see them I could reach them.  These days I just have lock boxes around and the big safe plus whatever I might be carrying.  There aren't many ways to be cut off from access.  There are no guarantees, but it is better than nothing.

Rugers, Glocks, CZ's, but mostly Glocks, Mossberg.
Glock 30 is the world's best handgun, I think we can all agree.  My mate told me the most tactical hardcore operators on his security team at the Yuba City Mall love the Glock 30 as the most advanced war machine since the Terminator.

Offline TMB 1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
Hi Point inexpensive, indestructible, accurate & reliable.

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
I'd put a bunch of cheap glocks everywhere ... If I was in the exact scenario as you described. Maybe in some of those "hidden frames."
The information contained in this document is CONFIDENTIAL and LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, copying, disclosure, retention or distribution is unlawful and illegal.

Offline cockedandglocked

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »
I just have one on my all the time at home, so no need to stash them all over the place. Only time I don't, is in the shower, and I don't plan on changing that. Would be kind of neat to make a hidden compartment behind a shower tile though.
I'm only here for the timeshare presentation

Offline Punisher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »

Offline L84Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 11:17:22 PM »
You still need to have them in a lockbox even if you don't have kids around.  However slick you think your hiding places are, they're not.  They can still be found.  How bad would it suck to walk in on a robbery and be shot with your own gun? 

And I'd go with something like a M&P...polymer frame and stainless slide. 

Offline mikal1911

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »
I'd be concerned with at least one firearm "walking" out one of the multiple entrances. Any liabilities from that said firearm will ensue for years to come. Just a 12-gauge, and a sidearm should scare most away. Anyone remaining would either be crazy/serial killer, so defend yourself by any means necessary.
Buyer responsible for DROS/PPT fees, all items sold as-is no exchanges/refunds/warranty.

Offline Melvino the FAKE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »
why stash my friend, why not wear as accessory?

Offline NorcalEnthusiast (NCE)

• Glock life!
    • View Profile
    • My Online Love Letter to Perfection
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
I am installing a quick access lock station for my pump shotgun too... as soon as I decide where to put it.  Something like this unless I find something better.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOT-LOCK-S-SLC01-02-ShotLock-Solo-Vault/dp/B007UT14FO
Glock 30 is the world's best handgun, I think we can all agree.  My mate told me the most tactical hardcore operators on his security team at the Yuba City Mall love the Glock 30 as the most advanced war machine since the Terminator.

Offline cockedandglocked

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »
I am installing a quick access lock station for my pump shotgun too... as soon as I decide where to put it.  Something like this unless I find something better.

I've thought about getting that too, but IIRC I don't think it works well with pistol grips. It also just seems like it would take too long to access. So lately I've been leaning towards a horizontal wall rack, something I can lock when I'm not in the room, but would otherwise be instantly accessible. Ideally, I'd have it hold an AR, shotgun, and 2 pistols.
Don't think anyone makes such a thing, I might have to put my high school woodshop experience to good use.

Offline notenoughguns

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
multiple hi-points for cheap.  all the same model

Offline Deckhandmike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »
You still need to have them in a lockbox even if you don't have kids around.  However slick you think your hiding places are, they're not.  They can still be found.  How bad would it suck to walk in on a robbery and be shot with your own gun? 

And I'd go with something like a M&P...polymer frame and stainless slide.

What's a cheap lock box really going to do besides take them two minutes to pry open?  3/4 of calguns.org will tell you a 1000$ safe is just a ammo cabinet.

Offline cockedandglocked

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
Mike is right, lockboxes are really just for keeping kids out. A burglar will just take the lockbox home and open it in his free time in his garage. If burglars are your concern, you need to make sure your guns are not only locked in a real safe, but also that the safe is secured to your house, as well as hidden as well as possible. Sprinkling loose unlocked (or barely locked) guns around the house is just screaming for someone to walk off with them.

Offline beanz2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »
So I ended buying a couple of police trade in Glock 17s for $360 each. How did I do?

They've been, ahem, ridden hard and put away wet, so I wouldn't feel bad not having them sit in a dehumidified safe. The down side is that they come with the NYPD 12 lb triggers. How easy are the trigger springs to swap? The advantage is that I have many unused Glock mags. Any 17 mags should fit, right?

Offline gtarifa74

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 09:03:39 PM »
Glock all the Way  8)

Offline cockedandglocked

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »
Seems sort of expensive to me for some beat-up gen2 g17's, but they should do the job

Offline GODMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »

I've thought about getting that too, but IIRC I don't think it works well with pistol grips. It also just seems like it would take too long to access. So lately I've been leaning towards a horizontal wall rack, something I can lock when I'm not in the room, but would otherwise be instantly accessible. Ideally, I'd have it hold an AR, shotgun, and 2 pistols.
Don't think anyone makes such a thing, I might have to put my high school woodshop experience to good use.

Soooo, you learned how to weld in woodshop? You can't seriously be thinking of constructing your safety device from wood. Or maybe you're transferring several firearms (x number of devices) into a secure vault every time you exit your house and returning them to these contraptions from the vault upon your return home? Seems a lotta work

GDGM

Offline cockedandglocked

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
Touche... maybe a combination of nice woodwork around a framework of metal. I haven't exactly put a lot of thought into the concept yet, just something I've been rattling around in my mind lately.

Offline small hole shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 07:48:39 AM »

I hide it in my holster on my hip. I am touching it right now.

Offline neomedic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
I prefer Glocks....but if you want a cheaper alternative that is "even more disposable" and just as reliable consider the

Springfield XD line
SW SDVE