Author Topic: Japanese milsurp/C&R  (Read 14264 times)

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
Japanese milsurp/C&R
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »
Anyone have or like these guns?  I have an Arisaka type 99 7.7, came with bayonet and a crysanthemum crest with only a tiny nick in it, only $165 in 2005. 

I'd really like a 6.5 example.  Recoil is mild and guns like this are fun to shoot.  These guns ahe started to get a bit more respect and command more $. 

I'd get a Nambu for fun if the price was right, the baby Nambu is expensive and in a strange 7mm caliber too. 
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline jacques

• View Profile
Re: Japanese milsurp/C&R
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »
I have seen these and thought about it. I would belive that the demand for these is going to increase. I am not in a Curio and Relic mood now however. If I had a bigger place and lived alone, I would probably get into it so I could have a living room with Curio and Relic hanging on the walls. I think that would be cool.

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
Will this be the 13th thread that nobody cares about?
I didn't really enjoy taking showers with other men though I have done it
I move a lot...and drool....

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Will this be the 13th thread that nobody cares about?

There is people on .net and .org that like some of the stuff I've posted about including Japanese milsurp so you just go away :D

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
Am actively looking for an Arisaka -

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
There is people on .net and .org that like some of the stuff I've posted about including Japanese milsurp so you just go away :D

There are people on .net and .org that like fornicating with farm animals too.
I didn't really enjoy taking showers with other men though I have done it
I move a lot...and drool....

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »
I have 2 - a Type 99 and a carbine.  The 99 has a scrubbed mum and the stock has been refinished.  The blueing is very nice though and it had a clean/newish bayo.  The carbine is original, non scrubbed.  It is a decent example.  I also got a bring back bayo from my dad's friend at work.  It has Japanese writing on it but no one's been able to decipher it.  It isn't very clear.  That bayo was taken during the occupation as I remember him telling me.  It looks very used.  As a side note, my parents still have kitchenware that says "made in occupied Japan" and I bought some old money issued by the Japanese occupation government in the Philipines.

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

There are people on .net and .org that like fornicating with farm animals too.

Speaking from experience? :o Sheep?

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
Post some pics of that when you have a chance - Here or .net -

I have 2 - a Type 99 and a carbine.  The 99 has a scrubbed mum and the stock has been refinished.  The blueing is very nice though and it had a clean/newish bayo.  The carbine is original, non scrubbed.  It is a decent example.  I also got a bring back bayo from my dad's friend at work.  It has Japanese writing on it but no one's been able to decipher it.  It isn't very clear.  That bayo was taken during the occupation as I remember him telling me.  It looks very used.  As a side note, my parents still have kitchenware that says "made in occupied Japan" and I bought some old money issued by the Japanese occupation government in the Philipines.

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
Post pics of the sheep too...

I have some of that Philippine/Japanese occupation ammo.  Frijolito if you read this and I can find it I'll give you some. 

I still need to find a 6.5 Japanese chambered weapon. 

I meant to say occupation money actually. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:26:15 PM by Moonclip »

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Here ya' go!  Rifle #1.

T38 carbine, series 4, Nagoya arsenal (nearest I can tell).  This one was a gift from my bro for my b-day from a while back.

;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:04:39 PM by zatoh »

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
Rifle #2

Type 99 rifle, series 1, Toyo Juki Kogyo arsenal, non-matching nearest I can tell.  I bought this off the used rack at Bain and Davis in the 90s.  This was my 2nd or 3rd firearms purchase and I felt a little weird walking out of the store with it.  As a kid guns were sort of taboo in my house.  Of course the protest poster at the adjacent Chinese store against Japan regarding the rape of Nanking (which pictured a soldier with a similar rifle) did not make me feel any better.  As you can see the stock has been refinished.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »
Oh man - That 38 is nice with the mum intact and the wonderful price tag to go along with it -

I've got a deal for a 99 last ditch coming to me soon -

I don't understand the split stock thing - Intentional?

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
Bayonets:
Top - Jinsen arsenal.
Bottom - Manufacturer - unknown.  No readily visible markings.  I haven't pulled the grips off (if so then I don't remember) so perhaps there is something under there.

Jinsen arsenal close-ups.  I got this one with the T99 I bought from Bain and Davis.

Unknown close-ups.  Interesting carvings in the handle.  This was from my dad's friend where he used to work.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a "46".

Although I have Japanese ancestry, I neither read nor write Japanese.  No habla Nihongo (how's that for mixing it up).  Okay, in your best Toshiro Mifune voice say: you are a disgrace to the Japanese!!

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks Saigon!  Dunno.  It might be due to lack of resources.  Either that or they do that b/c of expansion like some of the Fin rifles from WWII.
Oh man - That 38 is nice with the mum intact and the wonderful price tag to go along with it -

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »
I've noticed that a lot - I just am starting to get into C&R - Have quite a few RAW already and am bored with what's going on new with the OLL - It's good for the current crowd -

Those are some neat stuff you've collected - Do you frequent any other boards?

Offline zatoh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »
Thanks Saigon!  I've been collecting for a bit, I guess since the 90s.  My problem is that I am unwilling to focus my collection so I have a lot of different types.  But I suppose even if I were to do that I'd move on to the next model/make once my $$ limit was reached for that certain type (i.e like $2k for one item type of thing).  I mostly frequent the cg.net site and post under the same screen name.  I hit gunboards once in a while but don't post much and also used to hit survivors SKS boards too.  I also subscribe to the C&R mailing list which has been around forever and occasionally get some good deals there.  I'm sure there are other boards out but I guess I sort of settled here on CG where I feel comfortable.

Happy collecting!  You'll never be done.
I've noticed that a lot - I just am starting to get into C&R - Have quite a few RAW already and am bored with what's going on new with the OLL - It's good for the current crowd -

Those are some neat stuff you've collected - Do you frequent any other boards?

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
I too am all over the board - Modern guns now to the C&R stuff - I really only frequent CG.Net and here - The site owner (Kest) have allowed us to play here semi-autonomous -

I've just started collecting French rifles - Doing it without having a C&R is a serious set back -

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 11:29:06 PM »

The 38 is very nice and I see these fairly unfrequently.  Yes the two piece buttstock is intentional and allows the use of inferior stock blanks and wood. 

Are you going to shoot the last ditch?  How much was this deal? 

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
I had a feeling that it was intentionally done as how perfect the cut was -

I don't know if I'll shoot the 99 - Have to get it first - I understand that a lot of these are not shootable condition due to workmanship -

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »
I'd personally not shoot a last ditch but it should be ok in most cases.  The Arisaka is considered the among the strongest of the military bolt action actions. 

Last ditch usually means fixed rear sight, no chrome lining on a type 99, and a wood buttplate nailed on.

I have a book called The Rape of Nanking that shows many pics of Arisakas.  Very sad book.