Author Topic: Thread about nothing #2  (Read 3208396 times)

Offline VegasND

• I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful.
    • View Profile
Re: Thread about nothing #2
« Reply #12960 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »
BB?

Don't ever ever ever use a large capacity magazine with a bullet button build, even if the rifle is otherwise featureless.
Fixing a large capacity magazine into a rifle makes the rifle an AW because it now has a fixed magazine that holds over 10 rounds.
That's a seperate part of the law we don't think about so often.

If the build is featureless, run a regular magazine release button as well.

Wow, another tidbit of CA law I didn't realize from my reading here.  What a job keeping it all straight.
I always tell people to just look at the AW flow chart. It explains everything. Maybe someday you guys in Vegas can have one just like it (j/k).

Don't even whisper that in a dark closet--not even in jest.   We have 'certain legislators' here that would love to adopt CA style laws.  Unfortunately, immigrants from certain other states keep electing more of them.
Doesn't that piss you off. They should have a residency limit (like 10years) before you can vote in a state. Here in Goleta, we are inundated buy a student body at UCSB that is 1/2 the size of the city. It is a very liberal transient voting group that decides issues we have to deal with long after they are gone.

It does; but what honestly confuses me is why people leave a place because they feel it's become uncomfortable to live there and then they try to remake their new locale in the image of the one they abandoned.  I long ago got used to signs in government offices that say things like "We don't care how they do it in California."  But I still hear newly arrived people complain that the state they left does things better--and it's not just CA immigrants either.  I left CA back in '79 and never really wanted to return despite missing the great weather and ocean.  I wanted the laws and attitudes I found in other states and would have loved CA to return to a more free state instead of steadily become more and more restrictive. 
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Offline RossRinSD

• View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
BB?

Don't ever ever ever use a large capacity magazine with a bullet button build, even if the rifle is otherwise featureless.
Fixing a large capacity magazine into a rifle makes the rifle an AW because it now has a fixed magazine that holds over 10 rounds.

Wow, another tidbit of CA law I didn't realize from my reading here.  What a job keeping it all straight.
I always tell people to just look at the AW flow chart. It explains everything. Maybe someday you guys in Vegas can have one just like it (j/k).

Don't even whisper that in a dark closet--not even in jest.   We have 'certain legislators' here that would love to adopt CA style laws.  Unfortunately, immigrants from certain other states keep electing more of them.
Doesn't that piss you off. They should have a residency limit (like 10years) before you can vote in a state. Here in Goleta, we are inundated buy a student body at UCSB that is 1/2 the size of the city. It is a very liberal transient voting group that decides issues we have to deal with long after they are gone.

It does; but what honestly confuses me is why people leave a place because they feel it's become uncomfortable to live there and then they try to remake their new locale in the image of the one they abandoned.  I long ago got used to signs in government offices that say things like "We don't care how they do it in California."  But I still hear newly arrived people complain that the state they left does things better--and it's not just CA immigrants either.  I left CA back in '79 and never really wanted to return despite missing the great weather and ocean.  I wanted the laws and attitudes I found in other states and would have loved CA to return to a more free state instead of steadily become more and more restrictive. 

Are you comparing us to mexican immigrants, lol?

I wonder why these guys leave the slums and crimes and violence of their country for a better life, but just end up bringing it with them.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
BB?

I have never lived anywhere but here. So I don't know the difference. I was in Montana a couple years ago, my son and I went into a gun shop there. We were floored. It was amazing the fun stuff they had. They asked us where we were from, we said California, and they started with the communist snide remarks. I realize they were kinda right about the remarks now, just sorta shocked me at first.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: November 18, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »
Frijolito, what have you done? I was looking at the pictures on the .223 thread and yours are all gone ???

Offline RossRinSD

• View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »
Frijolito, what have you done? I was looking at the pictures on the .223 thread and yours are all gone ???

BWeise answered my magazine question.

He doesn't think my idea is a good one.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Ross, looks like you are good to go on the mag conversion now.

Offline VegasND

• View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: November 18, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »
BB?

Are you comparing us to mexican immigrants, lol?

I wonder why these guys leave the slums and crimes and violence of their country for a better life, but just end up bringing it with them.

Well, if you see a similarity...

But it's not a comparison I would make because it's counterproductive.  Let me give an example.  I know a family that moved here from New York City.  The husband hunted so he was around rifles and shotguns to some extent but had no exposure to handguns.  When he got here he made friends with a neighbor who's a cop and began to shoot handguns with his new acquaintance.  He bought himself a .40 and got his CHL.

The funny thing is he chews people out who carry when HE doesn't think it's 'necessary.'  He doesn't think people should carry at social gatherings, church, etc.  He has it in his mind that he will only carry when he thinks danger may lurk somehwere.  He has no conception that constant vigilance is the only way to have a chance in today's world.  I just figure he's a product of his upbringing and at least his priorities have shifted to keeping the government's power to tax and control firearms under control.  He still thinks life in NYC isn't that bad--I'm sure he didn't vote fot Obama, but he only mentions taxes when he discusses the P-Elect.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Offline RossRinSD

• View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: November 18, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
well kids, its getting late and I want to get a super early start tomorrow morning.

Vegas, I haven't heard anything from APEX yet, have you...

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: November 18, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »

Not for a 30rd mag to a 90rd drum in 5.56. If you had mentioned a 20rd .22 to a 50rd .22, it might not be as much an issue. Really, there is should not be a bit of difference, in the eyes of the law, between a  20rd to 30rd, or a  30rd to 90rd conversion.

Besides, wouldn't they have to somehow prove all that anyway. Like everything else has to be proven.

Offline VegasND

• View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: November 18, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
well kids, its getting late and I want to get a super early start tomorrow morning.

Vegas, I haven't heard anything from APEX yet, have you...

No, but I check the mail daily and nothing has been at the door.  I'll let you know as soon assomething happens.

Good night all, I'm done for today too.
H. L. Mencken

Offline RossRinSD

• View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: November 18, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »

Not for a 30rd mag to a 90rd drum in 5.56. If you had mentioned a 20rd .22 to a 50rd .22, it might not be as much an issue. Really, there is should not be a bit of difference, in the eyes of the law, between a  20rd to 30rd, or a  30rd to 90rd conversion.

Besides, wouldn't they have to somehow prove all that anyway. Like everything else has to be proven.

but its the same sort of concept.  The .22 banana mags don't share any parts with the .22 drum mags.  Its on the onus of the state to prove a crime has been commited.  But, not doing anything wrong lets me sleep at night.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:56 PM »

but its the same sort of concept.  The .22 banana mags don't share any parts with the .22 drum mags.  Its on the onus of the state to prove a crime has been commited.  But, not doing anything wrong lets me sleep at night.
Yeah, Hoffman just killed it. Oh well. It was a good question. Which makes me feel that 5rd extensions on a Glock 17rd mag would not be a good idea either.

Offline Frijolito1988

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: November 18, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

Ah man, let me check i put all my pics in certain groups and i think it mssed it up. Let me check again
*DISCLAIMER* I probably misspelled alot of things, and i dont care..

Offline Frijolito1988

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: November 18, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »

Offline Angie

• View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: November 18, 2008, 11:25:54 PM »
I think you can probably find one of them West German police trade ins for half that price. Heck you can probably get two for that price, one for each hand. :D
LOL! I don't think I could handle that much recoil!

You can handle it. If they can do it in the movies, you can do it in real life. ;)
Never said I wasn't willing to try though  :D

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #12975 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:51 PM »
Never did get a good answer as to whether or not we can rebuild 25 round mags into 50 round drums for it

The way I understand it, as long as the mag functions in the same gun, you are legal.
So, if you rebuild 25's into 50's and the new mags work in the same gun as the old mags and you don't end up with more large capacity mags than you started with, you are golden.
I didn't really enjoy taking showers with other men though I have done it
I move a lot...and drool....

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #12976 on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »
Can you take 2-25rd mags and produce a 50rd drum?

That would actually REDUCE the number of large capacity magazines that you own.
No law against that.

Also, it's never necessary to combine two mags.
Any mag that holds over 10 rounds is a large capacity mag.
There's no limit to how many rounds it can hold once it's a large capacity mag.

This is the same reasoning used with preban 1919 belts.
Don't EVER run them down below 11 rounds.
If you do, you forfit that belt's existence as a large capacity magazine.
What some beltfed shooters do is to put a blank/squib as the 12th or 13th round to make the gun stop.
Then, you can re-load that belt without it running below 11 rounds.

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #12977 on: November 18, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »
Oh well. It was a good question. Which makes me feel that 5rd extensions on a Glock 17rd mag would not be a good idea either.

Why?
You are still using the original follower and magazine tube.
Only the baseplate and spring gets replaced.

Offline sorensen440

• Official King of Calguns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: November 19, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »
good morning

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #12979 on: November 19, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »

Offline Frijolito1988

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: November 19, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
Guey -

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: November 19, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
Good morning everyone - Kind of cold here in the Bay today -

Offline Frijolito1988

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: November 19, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
Good morning everyone - Kind of cold here in the Bay today -

and its OK here in socal. Wish it where colder

Offline Ojisan

• View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:24 PM »
Hey, Ho!
Whatcha know?
Lil' Bean is here all alone
Sad, dontcha know?

Offline Frijolito1988

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: November 19, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »
Hey, Ho!
Whatcha know?
Lil' Bean is here all alone
Sad, dontcha know?

yes quite sad

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: November 19, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
Don't be sad, I am here, but only for a minute, I am working on a chocolate shake, then back to work. Busy, Busy....

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »
OK, fine, I am done with my chocolate shake. ;D You did not respond. :( You can sit here in your deep dark depression all alone. ;D

Can you tell by the smilys I am manic depressive  ;D >:( ;D :( :D :'( :) :D >:( ;D :'( ;D :( ;D :'(

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #12988 on: November 19, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
haha, bean is so depressed that even he is not logged in.
I have the place to myself.

Gotta go set some traps.
Be back later...

Offline Ojisan

• View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: November 19, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
What?
I finally get a chance to log in and say hello and everybody leaves?
What, it is my deoderant (or lack of same)?
The fact that I only brush my teeth once a month?

I can tell when I'm not wanted...

:-[  :-\  :'(