Author Topic: Red Air For Hire: The Big Business of Private Air Forces  (Read 2747 times)

Offline L84Cabo

• View Profile
Red Air For Hire: The Big Business of Private Air Forces
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
I stumbled across this and thought some of you might be interested.

From the article...

But there are a growing number of private air forces in the US and Canada which Americans are overwhelmingly unaware of. Composed of retired military fighter and training aircraft, operated by ex-military pilots, these company-owned fleets provide a surprising range of airborne training services to the US armed forces.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/27/big-business-private-air-forces-feature/

Offline big cannon

• View Profile
Re: Red Air For Hire: The Big Business of Private Air Forces
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:41:45 AM »
Sounds like a reincarnation of. pacific Intermountain Express, Flying Tigers, Air America. Etc.

I wonder if the CIA has an interest in this new wave of companies.

Offline rackley16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
I have delivered a very large generator made by Solar Turbine to the old George Air force Base in Victorville.  I was met there by a Russian Antonov-AN124 military transport, and they loaded it up and took it to its final destination somewhere in Africa.  It was a Russian military plane and was definitely crewed by Russian military.  Evidently they are for hire to move large time sensitive cargo worldwide.  I met a couple of the crew while we were transferring the load to the aircraft.  They seemed like pretty cool guys, and told me they do this sort of thing a lot.  They said it makes Russia money to use the aircraft instead of letting them just sit around.  I thought it was weird, but made sense.

Offline The War Wagon

• What the *&%^*&^%$&#$^%#@^@ JUST happened?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
Can you hire them for, "discretionary duty?"   :P
In the event of an ACTUAL emergency, YOU'LL be replying from the bottom of the Pacific.  :-p