Author Topic: California voters ban gay marriage  (Read 5939 times)

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
California voters ban gay marriage
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
It's like a game to everyone - Court made its decision and now folks are trying to change it one way or another -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27523989

California voters have passed a constitutional amendment outlawing same-sex marriage, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

NBC News has yet to confirm the passage of this amendment, which would overturn a court ruling that gave gay couples the right to wed just months ago.

The passage of Proposition 8 represents a crushing political defeat for gay-rights activists, who had hoped public opinion on the contentious issue had shifted enough to help them defeat the measure.

It also represents a personal loss for the thousands of couples from California and others states who got married in the brief window when they could. Legal experts said courts will have to resolve whether their unions still are valid.

California joins Arizona and Florida, where voters also approved amendments banning gay marriage. Gay-rights forces also suffered a loss in Arkansas, where voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents. Supporters made clear that gays and lesbians were their main target.

Meantime, Colorado and South Dakota rejected anti-abortion initiatives.

In Washington state, voters decided to join Oregon as the only states offering terminally ill people the option of physician-assisted suicide.

Michigan approved medical marijuana, and Massachusetts decriminalized the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana.

Those results were among the more than 150 measures voted on in 36 states.

'Culture wars'
In California, gay-rights supporters had hoped that a large Democratic-voter turnout would help defeat the state's proposed ban on same-sex marriage.

Similar bans had prevailed in 27 states before Tuesday's elections, but none were in California's situation — with about 18,000 gay couples married since a state Supreme Court ruling in May.

Some in San Francisco vowed to continue fighting for the right to marry if the proposition passed. "My view of America is different today," said Diallo Grant, a gay man with mixed-race parents. "The culture wars will continue."

Gay rights also was an issue in Arkansas, where voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples living together from being adoptive or foster parents.

The measure's sponsors painted it as a battle against a "gay agenda."  Opponents argued it would make it harder for the state to find the foster parents it needs to take care of children.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
Re: California voters ban gay marriage
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
I really didn't care either way. They can give all their money to lawyers and pay alimony and child support and deal with the crap. A marriage really does not mean anything, except that you now have a "license". It may mean something to religious people, but the bond is not religious legally, it is the piece of paper.

So I think this iis actually a good thing for them.

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
Thre jacques, people that are in traditional marriages many times are married but defile the marriage by cheating and such.

Randall and Frijolito will be dissapointed though :D

The gays will just find some loopholoe or court challenge as always anyways. 
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
Thre jacques, people that are in traditional marriages many times are married but defile the marriage by cheating and such.

But if that scenario is traditional, they should deal with it in a traditional manner.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
The thing that I don't understand is that everyone voted for Obama for change but drew the line with prop 8 -

Offline jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
The thing that I don't understand is that everyone voted for Obama for change but drew the line with prop 8 -
I think people are getting fed up with all the extreme crap. But then again, did that prop 2 win?

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »
Yes it did - We were discussing how prices is going to go thru the roof -

Offline ColdSteel14

• Hat Dancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
Man. Every local initiative to borrow money or raise taxes on the ballot passed. Sales tax is going to go up 1% here.
WTF is wrong with voters these days.. morons.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »
I voted no on every single one - Too much money going out - Folks are really voting stupidly -

Offline ColdSteel14

• Hat Dancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »
Yeah, well we both agree on the 2nd amendment. Too many people out there just don't care.
Man, some people shouldn't be allowed to vote on certain issues.

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
I friggen guarantee you that folks have little or zero ideas about the other props. -

They based their voting off of Tv Ads. -

Offline RossRinSD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »
I didn't care one way or the other, I believe people should be able to do what they want without government interference.

But, just because Pelosi came on TV and wanted gay marriage, I voted yes on prop 8.

Hey, if she wants her gay marriage, then I want my pistol grips and detachable mags.

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »
I voted no on every single one - Too much money going out - Folks are really voting stupidly -

Even no one the one that helps veterans? ???

Offline saigon1965

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
We don't have the money to do anything - They want to borrow from bonds and raise taxes - So yes, I voted no - I will not support the gov. throwing my tax money away on programs after programs with almost 100% failure rate -

I do appreciate the vets. - The system is there to help - Now if the system is a failure then the Feds need to do something on a larger scale - 

Even no one the one that helps veterans? ???

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
Well, I voted yes on the veterans one,I am amazed it passed in this state though. 

If we can spend money on giving healthcare to illegals and educating anchor babies, you bet I am going to vote yes on anything with the potential to help veterans. 

Anyone that hires illegals is a traitor to the USA in my opinion.