Author Topic: Handguns with a shoulder stock  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
Handguns with a shoulder stock
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
Can we legally own and use any examples of these in CA such as the older C&R models like an old BHP or Mauser Broomhandle?  I have never fired a handgun so equiped, has anyone ever doen it or owned one?

IIRC some manufacturers have made models that fall away from the gun once you remove your hand which makes them legal, not sure for CA though. 

Some makers have offered them on cap and ball revolver too IIRC, I assume those would be ok for CA?  Though you would have to watch for injury to your forearm if you hold the gun certain ways due to the cylinder gap. 

Or how about a single action centerfire revolver with a 16in barrel and shoulder stock?  I rmember those kits to turn a 1911 pattern pistol in to a rifle also but thse seem CA illegal now. 

A Stechkin would be fun and doubly illegal :(
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline Ajax22

• View Profile
Re: Handguns with a shoulder stock
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
There is a specific list of handguns which originally were fitted with shoulder stocks which are exempted from the NFA registry.

Broomhandles, BHP's and some 1911's fit in this catagory.... reproductions don't count.

also cap and ball guns can be just about anything you want since they are not considered to be firearms under the 34nfa or 68 gca.

Offline AR15barrels

• AR-15 Guru
    • View Profile
    • ar15barrels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
There is a specific list of handguns which originally were fitted with shoulder stocks which are exempted from the NFA registry.

Broomhandles, BHP's and some 1911's fit in this catagory.... reproductions don't count.

A friend of mine has 1 of 4 1902 Colts that was cut for a shoulder stock.
There's only one single 1902 gun known to exist WITH the shoulder stock.
That gun was presented to the president of Colt back in 1902 and the gun recently was auctioned through a local auction house along with the stock and all original accessories.
My friend had a chance to photograph and measure the gun/stock and we are fabricating one in shop class.
I'm pretty sure that since my friend's 1902 is colt lettered to have been sold for use with the stock that he should be ok.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:24:25 AM by AR15barrels »
I didn't really enjoy taking showers with other men though I have done it
I move a lot...and drool....

Offline Moonclip

• Forum Addict
  • It's a trap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »

also cap and ball guns can be just about anything you want since they are not considered to be firearms under the 34nfa or 68 gca.

So these are all CA ok then?
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Offline Ajax22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:29:55 AM »
Yes, with the exception of a few broomhandles that have detachable magazines.

Offline big cannon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »
Love to have a Cap and Ball one. Even though your second hand must be behind the cylinder.

Offline aghauler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »
Love to have a Cap and Ball one. Even though your second hand must be behind the cylinder.

Excellent point some people don't realize that!