Author Topic: Fast-Food Customers gravitating to Chili’s, Applebee’s, et al  (Read 917 times)

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
Because the dining price difference gap has significantly narrowed after the $20/hr. mandate.

"Shane Paul, who runs seven Jack in the Box locations in San Diego, has already adjusted his pricing strategy.

He revealed that they have raised their prices about 10% or 11% over the past six to 12 months, marking a significant shift from his usual annual increases of 3.5% to 4%.

Following these price adjustments, Paul has noticed a concerning trend: Transactions at his restaurants are already “trending down,” he said.

https://www.savvydime.com/wage-hike-to-20-could-drive-california-fast-food-customers-to-chilis-applebees-franchisees-fear/?ac=2

OR the could keep prices stable, keep customers, and simply assume less profit.
WHY is that so completely unacceptable to them?

I prefer a sit down diner anyway.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:10:34 AM by dan_eastvale »

Offline swalt

• View Profile
Re: Fast-Food Customers gravitating to Chili
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 11:05:39 AM »
No linky?  Looks like your post was cut off.

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 11:11:25 AM »
No linky?  Looks like your post was cut off.

Fixed. Don't know why posts get cut off on .org

Offline compulsivegungrabber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:16 AM »
Last time I ate at Applebee's, I was hunched over the toilet for the next 24 hours. I prefer to cook at home.

Offline swalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 11:26:09 AM »
Because the dining price difference gap has significantly narrowed after the $20/hr. mandate.

"Shane Paul, who runs seven Jack in the Box locations in San Diego, has already adjusted his pricing strategy.

He revealed that they have raised their prices about 10% or 11% over the past six to 12 months, marking a significant shift from his usual annual increases of 3.5% to 4%.

Following these price adjustments, Paul has noticed a concerning trend: Transactions at his restaurants are already

Offline SandiegoPoopButt619

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 11:45:48 AM »
Is this some sort of joke or are you dumb as hell?

"Simply assume less profit"

Oh gee, what a great idea. Why don't they just assume less profit? Gosh, they are so greedy and mean. The government should force them to lower their prices.
Trump 2024 - Make jabbed people cry again!

Offline swalt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 12:25:01 PM »

Following these price adjustments, Paul has noticed a concerning trend: Transactions at his restaurants are already

LMAO!!  It totally cut off my response.  Just to repeat, Assume the average 3% profit margin for restaurants, that is $30 for every $1,000 in sales.  Where is all this extra money you speak of?

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 12:31:52 PM »
OP smited for being a useful idiot.
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"

Offline sigfan91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 01:07:49 PM »

Oh gee, what a great idea. Why don't they just assume less profit? Gosh, they are so greedy and mean. The government should force them to lower their prices.

I always ask those who demand businesses to make less money if they would take a pay cut.  The answer is always NO.  Strange, asking others to sacrifice while never be generous themselves.

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 04:14:44 PM »
If they lose a large customer base their profits shrink anyway.

I’m not talking government intervention. Government intervention was the $20. What happens next is up to them.

They’re not too big to not feel the crunch.

Several companies lower prices to attract more customers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 04:19:11 PM by dan_eastvale »

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 04:56:13 PM »

I always ask those who demand businesses to make less money if they would take a pay cut.  The answer is always NO.  Strange, asking others to sacrifice while never be generous themselves.
It is pretty funny. Always the other person has to make sacrifices. I think it's likely the libbies wanting businesses and corps to cut profits have never run a business. By the time newsom is through, many businesses will not be feasible in Ca. It's harder and harder all the time. The swamp think the overall situation is an endless atm for their fun and games.

Offline Timberwoofers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 05:03:07 PM »
It's been years since I last ate at either Chilis or Applebees, like maybe 20. I don't ever recall them being good, and never remember them being cheap.
I don't eat fast food and try to never give my $$ to big box food chains.
For close to the same money, there's much better options, and you can support local small businesses. 

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 05:10:25 PM »
Lots of people know how the other guy should run their business.
One could always decide to actually do a better job. Just a thought. Here in Ca, it's usually not as easy as one might think.
One time a guy said he could make a titanium version of one of my products and sell it for $10. I told him I'll give him a purchase order for 1000 parts right now, never heard from him again.
Ca is ranked the lowest of the 50 states in being friendly to business the last time I looked.

Offline high_revs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 05:17:38 PM »
Applebees and Chili

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 05:52:44 PM »

Yes, I would accept less under certain circumstances. Poor economic conditions where all businesses are struggling to stay afloat. As opposed to laid off due to necessary cuts. Many have done this in the past. I’m not demanding that they lower prices. Only that if the loss of their customer base becomes severe enough they may have to, inconceivable as it may be to them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:58:04 PM by dan_eastvale »

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
Last time I ate at Applebee's, I was hunched over the toilet for the next 24 hours. I prefer to cook at home.

Just face stuff? No butt stuff?  ;D
My boobs deserve better than this.

Offline TrappedinCalifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 06:38:52 PM »
I know I've pretty much stopped going to certain fast food outlets as they've simply become too expensive.  In this area, at least, there are 3 or 4 which still send out monthly coupons and I tend to take advantage of that.

The problem is, even with the coupons, it's getting too expensive to indulge.  A 'regular' restaurant as an alternative?  Only rarely.  I can still get 2 Whoppers, 2 Fries, and 2 drinks at Burger King for under $16, while a burger, fries, and a taco salad at a local establishment runs around $30.  More food, but almost twice the cost.

While Taco Bell used to be a 'cheap' alternative vs. Chipotle or another locally owned burrito place, now, however, the amount of food vs. the price is quite noticeable. 

I haven't tried the pizza alternatives for quite awhile due to the fact that the price of pizza went to the ridiculous a long time ago.

Even with the increase in grocery prices, I can still put together a decent meal, often with leftovers, for considerably less.

This is the 'squeeze' the $20/hr. law has put these places in.  Charge more to cover the increased labor costs, you tend to lose customers.  Accept a lower profit margin and you run the risk of not having 'enough' to hire/grow or make necessary repairs while still making what you consider a living worth the time and effort it takes when you own such an operation.

Eating out, whether at a fast food outlet or a sit-down restaurant, is still a 'luxury.'  During inflationary periods, luxury purchases are usually the first thing to go for most people.  For those who can still afford it (and they are the ones often creating such inflation), it ensures the 'right kind of people' are the only ones going out to eat -

And, if you have the 'right people,' you don't even need a mask when you mandate that everyone else is required to wear one.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 06:40:49 PM by TrappedinCalifornia »

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 07:07:05 PM »
Best deal is still Costco hot dog and soda for $1.50, or the whole pizza for $10. Must have the membership these days though.

Offline sigfan91

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2024, 07:17:09 PM »

Yes, I would accept less under certain circumstances. Poor economic conditions where all businesses are struggling to stay afloat. As opposed to laid off due to necessary cuts. Many have done this in the past. Im not demanding that they lower prices. Only that if the loss of their customer base becomes severe enough they may have to, inconceivable as it may be to them.

Your argument would make sense if labor already took a pay cut due to tough economic conditions and now you ask the business to cut prices.  However, in this case, the tough economic conditions are brought on by labor getting a bigger share of the pie.  The stupid law disrupted market equilibrium.  Labor should make the sacrifice by giving back this ill-gotten gain to restore customer confidence.  Businesses did nothing wrong.

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2024, 08:43:38 PM »
Your argument would make sense if labor already took a pay cut due to tough economic conditions and now you ask the business to cut prices.  However, in this case, the tough economic conditions are brought on by labor getting a bigger share of the pie.  The stupid law disrupted market equilibrium.  Labor should make the sacrifice by giving back this ill-gotten gain to restore customer confidence.  Businesses did nothing wrong.
It's another step along the road to Marxism IMHO
Look at how the left wants to create resentment for others' success. They use this to manipulate people. Hitler created resentment toward the Jewish people, right? Biden and Clinton want to create the same sort of resentment using "ultra MAGA" and similar terms. I don't think they would actually get away with the extreme stuff that happened back then, but the method seems to be the same. HC has mentioned education camps, as have others. I'm scared that not enough people realize what is going on. Just look at the courts in NY right now. So far out there.....

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2024, 08:51:17 PM »

Yes, I would accept less under certain circumstances. Poor economic conditions where all businesses are struggling to stay afloat. As opposed to laid off due to necessary cuts. Many have done this in the past. Im not demanding that they lower prices. Only that if the loss of their customer base becomes severe enough they may have to, inconceivable as it may be to them.

Yes. They did nothing wrong. The government created the situation. There is nothing they can do about it. If they lose enough customers, they will be forced to reduce prices. They hopefully will understand this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:54:56 PM by dan_eastvale »

Offline SandiegoPoopButt619

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2024, 12:34:13 AM »

Yes. They did nothing wrong. The government created the situation. There is nothing they can do about it. If they lose enough customers, they will be forced to reduce prices. They hopefully will understand this.

It sounds like you are describing the invisible hand of the free market at work!

Of course they will try to keep prices as high as possible, AS THEY SHOULD, but lowering them is not a great option since most places operate on such a thin margin anyway. You really need like 200k+ minimum to live in California, most franchisees and restaurant owners are not making that much.
Trump 2024 - Make jabbed people cry again!

Offline ACfixer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2024, 02:12:50 AM »

Are you being serious?

Offline eaglemike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2024, 07:02:25 AM »

Are you being serious?
I agree with you.
I run a small business in Ca, and I've been wondering how the fast food restaurants are breaking even, much less making a profit. I see some places just closing up. There is a reason for this.
Rent just went up 25 percent on the new lease, inflation strikes. Prices of raw materials have gone up a lot in the past few years. Now the 20/hour thing hits, and even though it affects only certain businesses directly, it will affect everyone. Which Ca (SF area?) politician said that minimum income needs to be $120K or something like that?

Offline swalt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2024, 07:57:41 AM »

Yes. They did nothing wrong. The government created the situation. There is nothing they can do about it. If they lose enough customers, they will be forced to reduce prices go out of business. They hopefully will understand this.

FIFY
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 08:00:20 AM by swalt »

Offline D-M

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2024, 10:31:03 AM »

Are you being serious?
I agree with you.
I run a small business in Ca, and I've been wondering how the fast food restaurants are breaking even, much less making a profit. I see some places just closing up. There is a reason for this.
Rent just went up 25 percent on the new lease, inflation strikes. Prices of raw materials have gone up a lot in the past few years. Now the 20/hour thing hits, and even though it affects only certain businesses directly, it will affect everyone. Which Ca (SF area?) politician said that minimum income needs to be $120K or something like that?

People keep telling us we need to open a restaurant (my BBQ and her baking). I keep telling them if we ever did it wouldn't ever be in this commie sh*thole. Nothing Commiefornia-stan hates more than a small business owner or someone not on the government tit trying to make it on their own.

They look at me like I'm speaking in tongues. They've never owned or run a business. As a former small business owner, who's father-in-law was also a small business owner, we've watched that worm slowly turn to where you're basically fighting Excremento just to keep the doors open. No thanks.

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2024, 11:02:10 AM »
Newsom probably thought giant Mickey D's could easily afford the $20.

Without realizing many, if not most, of their customers could not afford the fallout.

Or maybe he did know that would happen.

And still didn't set an example by raising the starting pay in his exclusive Tahoe Plump Jack Inn Cafe and Bar that sells $37 pasta and a $67 steak.

Offline TheGood

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:40 AM »
Newsom probably thought giant Mickey D's could easily afford the $20.

Without realizing many, if not most, of their customers could not afford the fallout.

Or maybe he did know that would happen.

And still didn't set an example by raising the starting pay in his exclusive Tahoe Plump Jack Inn Cafe and Bar that sells $37 pasta and a $67 steak.

It's the "let them eat steak" approach to "ruling the people".  It's days are numbered, and it will come to a bloody end like it did in France.  I can't wait for it to happen. :)
Would like French fries with that head in a basket??

Offline ACfixer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2024, 02:48:24 PM »
Smite for the Mormon boobs.

Offline Darto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2024, 02:57:14 PM »
Last fast food (yesterday). One burrito by itself at Del Taco was $10.80. Used to be under  $5 not long ago (4 years). There were no prices listed on the menu board (out of fear or shame I guess).