Author Topic: VCDL attacked by Virginian Pilot (newspaper)  (Read 3569 times)

Offline N6ATF

• Ban ad homs on .net!
    • View Profile
VCDL attacked by Virginian Pilot (newspaper)
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/314-VA-ALERT-Virginian-Pilot-attacks-VCDL.html - VCDL blog with responses

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/10/public-safety-loses-gun-right-protests - article

What I sent to
Code: [Select]
public.editor@pilotonline.com:

I wonder if your staff or anyone reading the Pilot realizes how ironic the headline "Public safety loses in gun right protests" is.

There is an African-American man who open carries his firearm legally that has now been harassed three times by Norfolk PD. The first time, he received a $10,000 settlement check. The next two incidents are pending litigation due to their proximity to one another.

The irony in the headline comes when you find that in the last of the three incidents, he was the only person to be the focus of Norfolk PD with caucasian open carriers around him spared. Civilian video cameras were ordered to be shut off to prevent evidence collection.

Gun rights protests truly do lead to losses by public safety, when public safety departments are exposed for repeated, systematic, racism.

So, keep on supporting civil rights violations. I'm sure you'll be spared from 1st Amendment violations as a return for the favor.

Offline jacques

• View Profile
Re: VCDL attacked by Virginian Pilot (newspaper)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
Luckily for the VCDL, those same members get to go home when they're done making trouble in Norfolk. They don't have to rely on Norfolk officers who might understandably hesitate when dispatched by 911 to figure out why somebody is walking down the street with a weapon, or lingering in front of an ATM.

Shame on them. When will the "GET IT" a right is a right. Excersizing a right is not making trouble. Nobody should be calling 911 and the people that do should be reprimanded for abusing the system. But instead, they harass the wrong people. That is a terrible article. It would be like putting an article out the denounces somebody that publishes an article like the one they did.