Author Topic: CMP WILL get surplus 1911s  (Read 16071 times)

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
CMP WILL get surplus 1911s
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/25/us-usa-defense-obama-idUSKBN0TE2P120151125

Obama signed the NDAA 2015.

Now when do I get my 1911s... :drool5:
The information contained in this document is CONFIDENTIAL and LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, copying, disclosure, retention or distribution is unlawful and illegal.

Offline LowThudd

• View Profile
Re: CMP WILL get surplus 1911s
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
Amazing. Never thought that would happen without removal of the CMP provision.

Offline vliberatore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
Yes!

Any idea on price?

Offline beanz2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
You know, I've been trying to resist buying another caliber, but this *might* force me to get into .45. Aaagh.

Offline Vlad II

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »
This will be great

Put me down for a Singer

Offline k1dude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
I suspect it will be very hard to get one. There's very few available and very high demand.

Offline Milk and cookies

• Big gulps huh? Whelp, see ya later
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
I suspect it will be very hard to get one. There's very few available and very high demand.
I'm sure they'll show up in the marketplace with a healthy markup!
I eats all the bacons

Offline GlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
This will be great

Put me down for a Singer

A former coworker inherited his dad's singer in excellent condition decades ago.

At the time I didn't know about all of the possible WW2 1911's variants produced during the war ...

What are the requirements to qualify to purchase one when/if they are released to the public?
Not that kind of Doctor ...

Offline freonr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »
Will the cmp deal with ca?

Offline big cannon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
Will the California roster block us?

Offline Dyson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »
glad i kept the ffl/coe going

Offline bruce381

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
they will C+R I think so makes Cali sales easier?

Offline californialiberal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »

NY Times, Obama signs 2016 NDAA, National Defense funding bill with sneaky CMP amendment tucked away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/us/politics/obama-signs-defense-bill-despite-guantanamo-objections.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-4&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

Obama Signs NDAA – CMP Will Get 100,000 1911 Pistols - See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/11/25/obama-signs-ndaa-cmp-will-get-100000-1911-pistols/#sthash.Ev3bfhbc.dpuf

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/11/25/obama-signs-ndaa-cmp-will-get-100000-1911-pistols/

My best guess is that it will take at least a year for CMP to get their program together and start shipping these National Heirlooms. Maybe more. I'm sure there will be a waiting list. Maybe a years long waiting list.

Go to the CMP, find the Forums, see what they're posting.

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »
^^ I'd wager a year for details/procedures as well.

Additionally, even though 100k are earmarked for CMP, CMP is limited in dispersing to 10k/year or ~27 per day. This will be great to get some $$$ for the CMP and keep their mission going. That being said, I can imagine this will help keep 1911 prices in the upper ranges and I would not be surprised to see CMP auction anything that is not "Rack, Field, or Service."

One can hope :)

The information contained in this document is CONFIDENTIAL and LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, copying, disclosure, retention or distribution is unlawful and illegal.

Offline freonr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
Cmp deleted thread :-(

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

Any idea why?

Offline tuolumnejim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »
Price is one thing but what I'm wondering about is is condition.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »

Here's some info and lots of conjecture.

Price is one thing but what I'm wondering about is is condition.

If CMP follows their practice with Garands the same for the 1911s, they restore the guns to safe operating condition, refurbishing or replacing parts, test firing and adjusting, grading and selling them. The grades are on the CMP site, Rack, Field, Service and Correct grades. Those in the finest condition they will put up for auction. No matter what the condition they are safe to fire. I'd bet they replace the truly shot out barrels with new ones?

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

I don't have experience with this and you need someone who knows more than me, but my understanding is it will be an ordinary FFL to FFL interstate transfer except it's not on the Roster so you have to have a C&R license. If you have both C&R and COE then you can get more than one handgun (C&R) in 30 days and no 10 day wait.

Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Will the cmp deal with ca?

I've bought Garands and a M1 Carbine from them in the past, living in Sacramento. Before 2014 they could ship rifles to your door, UPS signature required. Now they'll go to your favorite FFL.

Any idea on price?

I'll take a wild guess. What do you think of $600 to $2000 depending of condition? What's your guess?

I suspect it will be very hard to get one. There's very few available and very high demand. How about a waiting list for a couple of years maybe?

The CMP rumor is that the Army has between a hundred thousand and several hundred thousand put up in a warehouse (conveniently just around the corner from the Anniston CMP). The law that was just passed calls for a pilot program to sell 10,000 in the first year, then report to Congress. They want to count how many people are murdered by CMP 1911s. As if.

I think it will take a year just to take delivery of the first batch of 1911s, gather a good store of replacement parts, hire and train gunsmiths, and get the process rolling. Who knows for sure though.

Find the CMP Forums, they will eventually be posting official information, then all your questions will be answered authoritatively instead of just my guesses.

In my darkest nightmares I fear that the CA Legislature will hear about this and pass some dandy CA law to stomp it out for us Californians before we can bring one home. Is there any way we can keep it a secret from the general public?

Offline LowThudd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
C&Rs are exempt from the roster.

Offline morrcarr67

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »

Here's some info and lots of conjecture.

I don't have experience with this and you need someone who knows more than me, but my understanding is it will be an ordinary FFL to FFL interstate transfer except it's not on the Roster so you have to have a C&R license. If you have both C&R and COE then you can get more than one handgun (C&R) in 30 days and no 10 day wait.

Can someone tell me if this is correct?

No, that is incorrect.

ALL C&R handguns are roster exempt. ANYONE can buy a C&R handgun and have it sent to a CA FFL for transfer.

IF, you have a C&R 03 FFL AND a CA COE you are exempt from the 1 in 30 rule on ALL handguns* and exempt from the 10 Day wait on C&R firearms**

*Current CA underground rules have made it so that you aren't exempt from the 1 in 30 rule on modern handguns. There is a case being heard that will resolve this issue.

**Current DROS software will allow a dealer to exempt a transfer from inventory but not for a PPT. A work around for this is for the dealer to take the gun into inventory and then they can use the 10 day exemption rule. Thing is that it would no longer be a PPT and the dealer would not be bound by the $35 PPT fee. In either case you still need to pay the DROS on a handgun but if you are buying a long gun with a 03 FFL and CA COE you can still do C & C but you would need to self register the long gun with the DOJ.
Earn Cash Back at Cabela's and other places
http://www.activejunky.com/invite/138105

Offline sealocans clone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/25/breaking-news-it-is-now-law-the-cmp-can-sell-1911s-to-the-public-a-thanksgiving-day-miracle/

You know I predicted this was going to happen back on the old Calguns.net.

I even had my own thread about it running for a while, with almost everyone to disagreeing with me, that it would ever happen given our current Disgusting state of politics in Washington dc.

The only thing I joked around about was the cost.
 I said it only be $200, if anyone remembers that somewhat funny thread.

CMPs final asking price is going to be a hard number to pin down but the good news is is according to CMP's regulation people can only buy one and they have to state that they're not going to sell them for number of years.
so that might keep the hoarders and resellers off the market.
so if the price is too high (I'm going to throw out a wild guess of $900 asking price) and no one buys them after year or two...
CMP may have to lower their prices because we are talking about a large quantity of used ( & some very very used) 1911s.

And while I understand that CMP has to go through the guns and make sure they're safe but they probably won't be refinishing so how much should they really cost us knowing that we ( or taxpayers just like us) have already paid our taxes to buy them in the first place?

I want to people it CMP to pay a good wage to their gunsmiths and workers and maybe put some money away for a rainy day but I don't think they should be so high-priced to be considered that they're ripping anyone off.

I'm pretty sure some private companies or organizations could get them cleaned up and safety checked and resold for around $400 or less. considering the cost of the gun itself to their organization is minimal.
 That is just my opinion, not knowing any of the insider information or actual total cost factors.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:43:51 AM by sealocans clone »

Offline G-Man WC

• Burl Ives Matters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
The CMP know that with this bill passing they are sitting on a proverbial gold mine from a collectors standpoint and
can charge what they please.
I don't think condition matters at this point. I'd like to have a good shooter myself, and not going to buy a Singer
to frame and put a light on for all to see.
Like the Garands, when they're gone, they're gone.
-g
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Offline k1dude

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
I suspect due to limited supply and overwhelming demand, they will range between $1,500 to $2,500 depending on condition and manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me if the price is actually north of that range. I would seriously doubt it would be lower.

Offline Ubermcoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/25/breaking-news-it-is-now-law-the-cmp-can-sell-1911s-to-the-public-a-thanksgiving-day-miracle/

You know I predicted this was going to happen back on the old Calguns.net.

I even had my own thread about it running for a while, with almost everyone to disagreeing with me, that it would ever happen given our current Disgusting state of politics in Washington dc.

The only thing I joked around about was the cost.
 I said it only be $200, if anyone remembers that somewhat funny thread.
CMPs final asking price is going to be a hard number to pin down but the good news is is according to CMP's regulation people can only buy one and they have to state that they're not going to sell them for number of years.
so that might keep the hoarders and resellers off the market.
so if the price is too high (I'm going to throw out a wild guess of $900 asking price) and no one buys them after year or two...
CMP may have to lower their prices because we are talking about a large quantity of used ( & some very very used) 1911s.

And while I understand that CMP has to go through the guns and make sure they're safe but they probably won't be refinishing so how much should they really cost us knowing that we ( or taxpayers just like us) have already paid our taxes to buy them in the first place?

I want to people it CMP to pay a good wage to their gunsmiths and workers and maybe put some money away for a rainy day but I don't think they should be so high-priced to be considered that they're ripping anyone off.

I'm pretty sure some private companies or organizations could get them cleaned up and safety checked and resold for around $400 or less. considering the cost of the gun itself to their organization is minimal.
 That is just my opinion, not knowing any of the insider information or actual total cost factors.

Doesn't mean that they wont sell them.

Offline Garandimal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

The CMP has One thread (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178899, sticky... in Ask CMP.

GR

Offline cokebottle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
100,000 total, only 10,000 per year.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »

The CMP has One thread (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178899, sticky... in Ask CMP.

GR

Yes, this is the Thread to rule them all. A moderator posted early on that this would be the 1911 Speculation thread they will keep going. Several others have been deleted. Every kind of speculation imaginable flying here.

Here's an idea to deal with the masses of Citizens wishing to acquire a CMP 1911. What about a lottery to get on a Waiting List. Open up a sign up to be in the lottery for 2 - 3 months then hold a lottery of those names to create a waiting list that won't take more than 2 years to fulfill. Do it again in the last couple of months of the first waiting list.