Author Topic: Questions about AR pistols  (Read 4275 times)

Offline WhiteBeltBatman

• View Profile
Questions about AR pistols
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
I've done a lot of research on the internet (even with Calguns servers down) and am still confused about how California treats AR pistols. I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me as I'm looking into the Daniel Defense MK18.

1. As I understand it, the DD Mk18 pistol version can no longer be sold in California? This was what the local gun store told me that this restriction took effect beginning of this year.

2. If so, is it transferrable from a private party that had registered one prior to the new law?

3. I know handguns can be transferred smoothly via intra-familial and interstate transactions. If say my dad were to gift a DD Mk18 pistol to me, is that considered the same? Or what hurdles will I run into there?

And lastly,

4. I've done some reading on 80% lowers. Would it be legal for me to slap on a 10" upper and the buffer tube (no stock of course)?

Offline Dyson

• View Profile
Re: Questions about AR pistols
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Find a shop that can do sse 2.0 for youre dd pistol, its out there

Offline cokebottle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »
SSE has become more difficult, but is still possible.

PPT sales and Intrafamilial transfers are still roster-exempt, however, in the case of your father gifting one to you, it must be a legitimate gift.
You can not give him (or anyone else) the money to make the purchase or it becomes a Federal crime (Question 1 on the 4473).

Theoretically, the law has not changed on 80%, however, more recent reviews of the law call into question whether or not it was ever truly legal.
Without question, you CAN build an 80% break-top bolt-action single shot handgun.  The conversion to semi-auto is the issue, as there is no legal definition as to at what point "manufacturing" stops and "modification" begins.
It is and always has been illegal to "manufacture" an off-roster handgun.

Finally.... why?
Seriously.
The AR pistol is a fun little range toy, but it is totally impractical for any use other than "I found a way to have one when California says I can't"

It is not practical for home defense due to the high power round.
It is not practical for hunting due to the short sight radius and short barrel accuracy issues.
It is not practical for self defense due to the lack of concealability, as well as awkwardness of open carry when hunting/fishing.

Offline WhiteBeltBatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Thanks for some answers, cokebottle.

As far as why, well WHY NOT!?
kidding..Mostly just to have another range toy and because it's a unique interest to me right now.
It wouldn't be my only firearm and I definitely wouldn't look to it as my first choice for self-defense, hunting, anything beyond a couple hundred yards (if that).
We all need variety