Author Topic: Gutter/drainage help?  (Read 402 times)

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
Gutter/drainage help?
« on: April 18, 2024, 06:49:57 AM »
I'm planning to put Asian Jasmine (not a stripper) in this little bed along the garage. Before I do that, what would my options be for modifying the gutters to direct the water away from the bed and foundation and more out toward the driveway?

My boobs deserve better than this.

Offline Pinto

• View Profile
Re: Gutter/drainage help?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 09:32:32 AM »
Go underground out to the curb -

https://youtu.be/XZrCVLM8b7w

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 10:44:46 AM »
Go underground out to the curb -

https://youtu.be/XZrCVLM8b7w

I'm trapped by the sidewalk and driveway. I just bought some of that corrugated pipe at Lowes. Didn't know I could just connect that to the downspouts with the adapters. I'll do a dry fit test when it cools down this evening.

Offline D-M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 10:57:56 AM »
I'd be more concerned about the jasmine creeping up the wall and possibly ruining your beautiful wood fascia/paneling. The tree that's already there so close to the foundation (and possibly under an eave?) is also concerning.

Me, personally, I wouldn't plant anything that close to the house. I'd do river rock and if one was dead-set on something living in that spot, a nice concrete pot with whatever in it (so long as it wasn't a creeper or vine plant).

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 11:02:20 AM »
If it were me I'd go under that sidewalk to the other planter as well to keep staining off of the driveway.

But if you don't like digging, yeah just connect to the down spout on the right and T it at the next one then wrap it around the corner ending at driveway. Keep it tight to house and plants will screen it.

I agree too small a planter for the asian jasmine. Just get some nice shade 5gal plants to fill the space.

Oh and smited for 2nd best plan.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:10:51 PM by FatCity67 »
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"

Offline D-M

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 12:36:27 PM »
I have been smoted?

Offline Amendment II

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 12:55:19 PM »
Without reading the post, I am going to suggest a french drain. I have no idea what a french drain is, but have learned over the years that it is the correct answer to any thread on Calguns asking about drainage.
"...the Court placed a constitutional limit on gun control legislation that had not existed prior to its decision in Heller. It is too early to know how much of a constitutional straitjacket the new rule will create." - ACLU

Offline Silence Dogood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 01:46:56 PM »
How much is the Asian Jasmine (stripper variety)?

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 01:47:58 PM »
Without reading the post, I am going to suggest a french drain. I have no idea what a french drain is, but have learned over the years that it is the correct answer to any thread on Calguns asking about drainage.

😂🤣😂👍
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"

Offline SandiegoPoopButt619

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 11:34:50 PM »
Just give the pipe a good crank so it's pointing at the sidewalk instead.
Trump 2024 - Make jabbed people cry again!

Offline WOODY2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 05:21:46 PM »
Just cement it in and be done with it.

Offline LBDamned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2024, 05:44:41 PM »
If the Asian Jasmine WAS  stripper... point her mouth towards the flow and be done with it.

Otherwise, can't you add a connector and extend both to the driveway? Or do you need it out of the way entirely for the stripper, err I mean plant.

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2024, 06:34:43 PM »
If the Asian Jasmine WAS  stripper... point her mouth towards the flow and be done with it.

Otherwise, can't you add a connector and extend both to the driveway? Or do you need it out of the way entirely for the stripper, err I mean plant.

That was kind of the idea. 2-in-to-1 and run it to the driveway. Just want the water away from the foundation and that corrugated pipe stuff would kind of disappear in the jasmine.

The jasmine around here isn't the climbing variety like star jasmine. Everyone uses it for ground cover out here.

Offline dan_eastvale

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2024, 07:38:02 PM »

That was kind of the idea. 2-in-to-1 and run it to the driveway. Just want the water away from the foundation and that corrugated pipe stuff would kind of disappear in the jasmine.

This is the exclusive way homeowners do it here in N Utah. They don’t even bother hiding it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:43:13 PM by dan_eastvale »

Offline TheGood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2024, 07:59:40 PM »

The jasmine around here isn't the climbing variety like star jasmine. Everyone uses it for ground cover out here.

We were forced to do this from the back corner of our house out to the front.  There was a concrete walkway poured at/near the elevation of the slab and nowhere for the water to go.  So as a temporary fix we ran a sloped rain gutter pipe along the back wall of the house out to the front yard, it was the only easy way to get the water to the front.  Previously we were using a piece of that flexible plastic 'pipe' attached to the gutter pipe but that would get backed up or blown into a knot when it was dry.  Now we've got it fixed properly (removed pavement, dug level of yard down, added drainage), but the lateral pipe was a great solution until we were able to re-scape back there.

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2024, 09:32:05 AM »
Here's what I've come up with so far. I cut about 4" off the downspout on the right. Still need to dig down a bit at the end to slope the pipe down just a tad by the driveway.

Thoughts? Tips? Insults?  ;D

Offline TheGood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 10:09:15 AM »
It is what it is, but at the very least you now have water that's being diverted away from the house.

You could plant shrubs/etc in front of the flex pipe to camouflage it.

Consider this.  You could bury the lateral pipe a few inches below the surface of the dirt, run it as you have it laid out to the corner where the sidewalk meets the driveway.  Then put an elbow and drain fitting (flat surface type) at the corner and water would flow out of it and then across the driveway. 
The only problem is that the corrugated pipe would sit full of water after the rain stops because it's below height of the pipe exit.  If you used perforated pipe, the excess in the pipe would flow out into the planter box slowly, but don't know how wet that planter would be if it rains regularly.

Offline FatCity67

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2024, 10:15:31 AM »

Is this the walkway to your front door?

Well since you decided to go Full Incest Bred Hillbilly on it not much I'd suggest now will matter.

Two things though.

1. Dig that craptastic tree out of there and transplant or trash.

2. Plant some dang bushes in front of that mess.

3. The ultraviolet is gonna tear up that brown extension pipe in a couple of seasons. Spray paint it all one color. Paint will protect the cheap thin plastic they use on those pipes these days.

Hardpipe would have been better, burying to top of pipe and 90up with popup grate at walkway/driveway crotch.

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 10:54:49 AM »
The pipe will not be visible. The Asian Jasmine will completely cover them. The Jasmine here grows about 5" tall.

The brown parts of the pipe are painted.

That craptastic tree is hiding the garage air conditioner intake/exhaust panel in the window from my HOA.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:58:03 AM by gcvt »

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2024, 11:02:18 AM »
This is what the jasmine will look like when it fills in...

Online Widdle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2024, 11:54:05 AM »
Nice rapist van in the driveway. May I have some free candy? How about a puppy?

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2024, 12:10:57 PM »

All the kids love it  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2024, 02:08:06 PM »
It is what it is, but at the very least you now have water that's being diverted away from the house.

You could plant shrubs/etc in front of the flex pipe to camouflage it.

Consider this.  You could bury the lateral pipe a few inches below the surface of the dirt, run it as you have it laid out to the corner where the sidewalk meets the driveway.  Then put an elbow and drain fitting (flat surface type) at the corner and water would flow out of it and then across the driveway. 
The only problem is that the corrugated pipe would sit full of water after the rain stops because it's below height of the pipe exit.  If you used perforated pipe, the excess in the pipe would flow out into the planter box slowly, but don't know how wet that planter would be if it rains regularly.

He is going to hire a stripper to lay on the ground in front of the pipe to cover it with her beauty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2024, 03:21:54 PM »

That is the SpaceX launch mobile command center

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2024, 03:54:03 PM »

That is the SpaceX launch mobile command center

;D

Offline TheGood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2024, 10:42:24 PM »

He is going to hire a stripper to lay on the ground in front of the pipe to cover it with her beauty

Mermaid!  Perfect excuse for a yard Mermaid, OP!!

Offline gcvt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 10:50:51 PM »
Mermaid!  Perfect excuse for a yard Mermaid, OP!!

Hold on now!

Your post made me Google "Orlando Mermaid". Apparently, this girl is for rent...I mean "hire"  ;D